Thursday, October 27, 2011

Cold, coats, and cities...

Heading out to the big city tomorrow for a conference, and wondering what new and interesting things I'll see there. Going to a meeting in D.C., at the Conference Center. Lots and lots of people, lots and lots of meetings, and lots and lots of walking. Hoping the trip does not include lots and lots of rain or cold, too.

Because it's that time of year: it's turning cold. Since my blood starts congealing when the temps get below 70 degrees, it makes this time of year both wonderful and sad. Wonderful because we can finally say goodbye to 100 degrees or more of heat. Sad because I have to give up my sandals and wear socks and shoes again. And because I have to start carrying a coat around, which I absolutely hate doing.

It's such a little thing, it seems, to carry a coat. Not to me! What the heck do you "do" with it when you're not wearing it? When you're in an office or at someone's home, it's easy. You throw it over a chair or hang it somehwere.

But in the mall, while you're shopping? Or in the grocery store? It's just a large, random pain in the you-know-what. Luckily, we don't have many "coat" days in the South. When we do, I park as close to the door as I can and make a run for it, sans coat.

At this conference, I have to walk five blocks to get to the closest meetings, futher to some others, so the coat will have to go with me. Dang. Oh, I could have gotten a hotel closer to the meeting place, but the hoteliers in D.C. obviously think their establishments are particularly special, because they charge out the wazoo for them! It was a tough decision on how much money I was willing to sacrifice for comfort, and the mid-range on both won. It's a quick walk and I'm saving money, so I guess I have to be happy about that.

On to the packing! Probably no posts while I'm gone, but hoping for adventures in travel to blog about on my return.

No comments: