Saturday, December 4, 2010

Slumberus interruptus

There I was.... an hour into trying to go to sleep mode, when suddenly I heard a snap. The my bed dropped about a foot at the head on one side. NOT how I like to be awakened!

I like tall beds. If I don't have to jump a little or at least stand on my toes to ease into bed it's just not tall enough. Not sure why I have this desire to sleep up high, but I always prefer tall beds. The problem is, if something goes wrong there's a long way to fall! Last night was no exception. The rail the hooks into the headboard apparently just split, and down went the bed. And no, there were unorthodox or unholy shenanigans going on, just sleep. Or at least an attempt to sleep. I've also caught the standard cold that's going around, so I was tossing and turning trying to find a position in which I could a) sleep and b) breathe, the latter of which is usually helpful in sleeping siutations. For a few seconds after it happened, I could have sworn I was dreaming. Surely (stop calling me Shirley!) I did not adjust my bed into the head down position? Oh wait, I don't have an adjustable bed! So why am I looking up at my feet?

Anyway, the bed broke, and since I have company this weekend -- sound asleep upstairs -- I tried to quietly curse and rail against the furniture gods for throwing me this loop. I pulled the mattresses off the bed and propped them against the wall, then took my covers and pillows and slept on the couch. Luckily it's a very comfy couch. But now I have to decide what to do about the bed. Will probably sleep on the mattresses a few days until I figure something out, but I may be shopping for new furniture. The problem is, just like a good man, a tall bed is hard to find! I shopped for a good six months before I found the one I have, and I don't want to do that again.

In the grand scheme of things, this is a small problem. My friend and I will head on downtown in a little while to look at Christmas decorations, do a little shopping, watch a parade, all that good stuff. The mattresses will be here when I return. I am just so glad the mouse situation has resolved itself! Hmmmm, maybe that's the appeal of tall beds...

No comments: